Thursday, May 24, 2012

Common Yarrow - Achillea millefolium - UPDATED

--Now I know why the herbs that I found just didn't feel right...and now that I already stopped searching for it, I suddenly found the real herb! Instant recognizion, you could say. And I'm sure I won't forget that herb anymore now. So I don't really changed the description here, but put a few correct photos there.--
 

Achillea millefolium
This herb took me long, because.....there are several types that look really similar, but poisonous ones too, so.....I took my time and care to find the right ones to make photos of. Unfortunately there are 2 if not more herbs that look almost the same, and growing at the same spots! I really hope I got the right one!



Well, the Herb grows between 0,2 and 1 meter tall, the leaves about 5 to 20 cm. It commonly flowers in May and June, but can last until late October. The flowers are very small, can be white or light pink, and have 5 petals. What looks like the stamen are in fact another set of very tine yellow petals. The leaves are very long and "feathered".

And where it grows? It is supposed to grow up until 3500m above sealevel, on grasslands and open forests.   

And now, onto what the herb can do....

A single leaf...
 










It can stop woundbleeding or promote the bleeding, depending on how you use it. It can also have a cleaning effect for wounds and is good for colds and helps with headaches. 


When used outside, it also is supposed to help with acne. The herb contains isovaleric acid, salicylic acid, asparagin and flavonoids, among other things. If you might notice because of the salicylic acid, it can also help with fever.

 For more informations you should visit those sides:

plantwatch.fanweb.ca

ppws.vt.edu
This is not one!
Not one either , different leaves....






Well, because it can be mixed up so easily with the wrong one, I would recommend to not use it on the insides, unless you are completely sure you got the right plant. 

And on a side note: It is one of the plants which "identify" a witch, lool.......

Well, I am still not sure if I took photos from the right plants, but like you can see on the wild meadows here, it is rather a difficult task...

No comments:

Post a Comment