Friday, September 28, 2012

Tonbo(s) everywhere!

A black? one that accidently found his way into the teachers office.
Well, now that I'm back in Germany there is one thing that I'm missing already... The sight of all those Dragonflies flying.....literally EVERYWHERE!







Here in Germany they are so hard and rare to find, at least around the area where I live,....so...during the last weeks, I tried to catch some of them on photos, again and again, but that's so hard to do, uff. They are simply too fast for me. And everytime that I tried to make a photo...other people around me were like "What's she doing there? Ah, she's just trying to photograph another Tonbo, how cute..."

One of  the many red ones.
Tonbo (トンボ) is the Japanese name for Dragonfly. (In German it's "Libelle") It's one of the many new words that I learned there, and one that I learned very fast!

As far as I know, they usually in areas with a lot of water, like rivers, lakes, or well, rice fields.




And Wikipedia told that they are a seasonal symbol for late summer/ early fall there in Japan. Why did no one tell me that there?! Oh wait, it's just the common dragonflies....

A blue striped one at the shore of a lake.
"More generally, in Japan dragonflies are symbols of courage, strength, and happiness, and they often appear in art and literature, especially haiku. The love for dragonflies is reflected in the fact that there are traditional names for almost all of the 200 species of dragonflies found in and around Japan. Japanese children catch large dragonflies as a game, using a hair with a small pebble tied to each end, which they throw into the air. The dragonfly mistakes the pebbles for prey, gets tangled in the hair, and is dragged to the ground by the weight." Wiki - Dragonfly

Well, I didn't see them anywhere in the traditional arts that I saw, nor did I hear any Haikus (the written one's I can't read). Nor did I see any of the children in the kindergarten try to catch them! I think this is a sign that such parts of the culture already started to dissapear.

A black one, with black wings!
But the 200 species I can believe easily... I saw them in all kinds of sizes and colours, black ones, red ones, yellow ones, orange ones, blue ones, striped ones, some even have coloured wings! Not to forget the various sizes, length of wings, sizes of the heads, thickness of their body,... And on every field of rice, or around every street lamp and tree, they swirled around and flew in swarms!


A blue and yellow one in flight. (That's why it's so blurry.)
Here is a photo of 2 of them in flight, it was at a big lake in Yufuin. I thought I catched 3 of them on a single photo, but it looks like I was wrong, since I only can find 2 of them there! But I like how you can see their shadows in the water...

And once again, they are....fast!!



Still, I only managed to make a video once, when watching a rice field getting harvested, but I think it gives an idea on how fast they are, and how blurry  you see them if they don't happen to make a short break to sit down...So...try to pay attention to the moving, blurry spots!


Who knows, maybe one day there will be this many in Germany again, too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment