Friday, October 19, 2012

The attack of the sweets...

In Japan I've been rather overwhelmed by the amount of sweets and type of sweets, and everyday there were cookies and cakes to eat, so maybe it was only a natural result that I had to take so many sweets with me to home! Although....I still don't know where to put them all, they are tasty, oh yes, but....it's too much! 
Well, but as long as they are not eaten yet, I can take the chance to present a few of them, traditional and not so traditional.


Those are absolutely delicious! Basically, they are big, round bonbons, with the taste of "fruit salad". I think they don't really taste like fruit salad, but...wow! They are as sweet as colorful they are... I think it is a traditional kind of sweet, and something that's usually be eaten or sold at hot springs. But the name....I can't remember! >.< Well, I think it is similar to the Kompeitou, but these actually are of portuguese origin!

So what is this? Let's carefully unpack this package and take a look at what kind of sweet awaits us...
 
 The box is so beautiful, I wouldn't even dare to open it up, but I had to! It's little bonbons inside, wrapped in small japanese paper. Each bonbon has two pieces, one white, the other pink or green. And well, when you put them into your mouth...they simply "dissolve". It's somewhat between cotton candy and grape-sugar, but...very very nice!



This here is grape-sugar, called "grape punch". Well, I thought it'
simply pieces of grape-sugar, but...I was surprised that it was in a package like medicine, and somehow it smells a bit like it too, but I'm sure it's just grape-sugar!






That little ones basically are bonbons made out of honey....didn't open yet, so don't know how they taste!







These cookies were another present, and I didn't try them yet either, but they sure look cute, like a bag of animal cookies. Well, and the name says... "Sutekina okashi", so...."wonderful sweets", and I guess they are. But I have to admit, that little package of "do not eat", in all these packages of food is a bit strange to me....




These little cookies are cookies filled with a paste made with green tea, and they are very sweet, doesn't taste like green tea at all. They are nice, but only to be used with real tea, I think. Like there usually is a cookie when you get a tea or coffee in a restaurant.





Pocky is a brand that is known here in Europe too, but at least where I live, there's only "chocolate" and "dark chocolate", while in Japan, well, there are countless of different types... This one here is for example chocolate with almond.





But there's also strawberry chocolate, and even shaped like a heart....It does taste like (artificial) strawberry, I prefer the real fruits any time...






Poitfull are like jellybeans, there's not much more to say to these, actually....I already ate better jellybeans, but then again, I don't really like jellybeans....







This here is much better already! At least for me, because it's...caramel! And I just really like caramel... Well, these packages from Hi-soft come with a collectible card, and 16 pieces of chewing caramel.







These ones, whoever, are the traditional brand of charamels of Morinaga (the hi-soft ones are as well). The packages are smaller, but tastes more or less the same, at least to me. I still have a few packages, I think I got about 4 or 5 of them after I said that I like them....





And finally, what is better to drink on a hot hot day than Pocari sweat? Aweful name, but eventually you get used to the taste. It's not very sweet, actually, basically just like a lightly flavored isotonic drink....but it helped me through some of the really hot days, since I've sweat like, oh well....that's not where the name comes from, I hope.




 Anyway, that's just my little collection, I'm sure there's much more, and every country has their specialities in sweets. I can only say that these were a part of those that I  came across. And nothing too exotic or "odd" there, is it? ;)

If you want something "extraordinary", you can always get a pack of these....

 
So, back the the healthy every day life...*angelface*

No comments:

Post a Comment